Ford puts the Focus RS to the test in the mountains and the desert
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company
Next spring the Focus RS will hit dealer showrooms in North American for the first time. The all-wheel-drive, 350-horsepower 2016 model will arrive a bit earlier in Europe, so this exciting car will be on the public roads before you know it. To stoke the passions of enthusiasts across the globe, Ford created a documentary series titled Rebirth of an Icon to give us an inside look at this carâ€™s development. Today the third installment of the series hit the web.
In this episode viewers are along for the ride as Ford engineers put the pre-production Focus RS through grueling drives in the mountains and in the desert. If youâ€™ve seen those spy photos of camouflaged Fords and wondered what they were up to, this video gives you a glimpse into to just how much work is involved in bringing these vehicles to market.
You can watch the latest episode right hereâ€¦
The previous two episodes detailed the goals for the car as well as the design and crash-testing of the vehicle. In the coming weeks the series will continue with an episode each week and they will play out as follows:
- Episode 4: Test-track trialsâ€”Ken Block heads for Fordâ€™s top-secret test facility, and indulges in some â€œhooningâ€
- Episode 5: Arctic extremesâ€”Winter testing in Sweden, and the team is under pressure to improve performance
- Episode 6: Power struggleâ€”Itâ€™s all about performance, as the Ford manufacturing plant in Saarlouis, Germany, gears up for production
- Episode 7: Close scrutinyâ€”The day of the critical sign-off drive follows Blockâ€™s headline appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Episode 8: Final chapterâ€”Itâ€™s time for the nail-biting management review
We will keep sharing each episode here so you wonâ€™t miss out.